Thinking of a road trip but worrying over whether it’s a good decision or not?! I would say, think not! Go on & hit the road!
When you go on a road trip, you feel the travel. You breathe in the place, take stops at the local eateries & see for yourself how the landscape changes gradually. If you are in India, road trips are even more interesting since you hear people speak in vernacular every 50 kms., experience weather changes every 100 kms. & enjoy different cuisines around every nook & corner.
For your next road trip, remember to include the following in your checklist & you will be good to go!
1. Maps: Take one wrong turn & you find yourself in the middle of nowhere trying to find your way back to the highway. Plan your trip in advance and get a map. Use Google Maps: just type in your destination & choose the route most suitable. Just be a little careful because sometimes you end up getting stuck in the narrowest possible lanes while you follow Google Maps. Ensure that your phone is full charged while you use Google maps because it sucks battery power. You should also carry the portable mobile stands especially crafted to help you with navigation while you are on the drive.
Key Tip: To save on the internet data consumption, put the date mode to off after locking the route to the destination. Maps will still work on data off mode!
2. Camera: Remember to carry a good camera with you to capture the scenes on your way. Keep the camera with you handy & charged. While you are on road, you catch numerous sights of cattle flocking together on the road, a perfectly circular rainbow across the horizon or a really ecstatic tree with ultra green leaves & flowers of colors your girl can’t differentiate. Lock these sights with you forever!
3. Your road trip special playlist: Along with the sight of changing landscapes & colorful flowers, add the cherry on the cake by creating a road trip special playlist. Include songs for everyone & travel your way through music.
4. Quick Snacks & Bites: I have committed this mistake of not carrying something to eat & then getting frustrated because it starts to get acidic in my stomach. Carry quick bites with you: chocolates, nuts, almonds, walnut, biscuits & snack bars. Remember to carry some water bottles or a water jug too. Stock less on chips or fried stuff. They make you thirsty quite a lot. You drink water & the next moment you are searching for the loo.
5. Tool kit & a spare tyre: Always carry the tool kit with you. Carry a spare tyre too. You never know when you need it. In fact, I would advise you to check out a few videos on You Tube about possible car trouble & how do you find you way through that.
6. First Aid: Carry the basic first aid: antibiotics, antiseptic creams, pills for headache/ stomachache, bandaids et al. It is also a good idea to get your medical/ accidental insurance done before you go on holidaying.
7. Quick Cash for Tolls: Some of the states have tolls set up after every 100 kms. If you are in for a long road trip, it’s always recommended to carry some quick cash that you can pay at the Tolls & leave hassle free.
8. Neck Pillows: Neck Pillows are a blessing during road trips. Whether you are driving or merely enjoying the drive, neck pillows are a big relief when you have to sit or drive for hours together.
9. Toiletries & Tissue Papers: Eating at road side restaurants or stalls & using the common restrooms is a usual thing on road trips. Carry the toiletries with you in a separate bag. Keep the sanitiser, soaps, tissue papers handy. You get tanned quite easy, on the road. So, use dollops of sun screen & don’t forget your cool, stylish pair of sunglasses.
10. A spare mobile: Running out of battery is a common phenomenon when you are travelling specially when you are using your mobile to click pictures, navigate via Google maps & post your pictures on Social Media. Carry a battery bank as well as a spare mobile with a sim card with you. Also, keep a notebook with the contact numbers of your family members & accommodations where you are staying.
So, what are you waiting for? Plan your road trip today & get set to go on the road!
All the pics showcased here is our content. If you wish to use them, let us know. You may mention the blog & use the pic.
Here are a few memories from the road trips that I have taken: